- Championship Qualifying Tournaments
We offer Qualifying Tournaments across the Province for all registered teams to compete for Awards, and to qualify for our Ontario Championships - where they'll vie against teams from all over Ontario for the Ontario Provincial Champion title in their division.
- High School Provincial Championships
The annual SPO Girls High School Slo-Pitch Provincial Championships is an OFSAA-sanctioned tournament that is held each year on the Thursday and Friday following Victoria Day. High school teams from all over Ontario come to compete for Awards and bragging rights, proudly repping their School or District.
The 25th Annual Tournament scheduled to take place May 21-22, 2020 was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 26th Annual Tournament is scheduled to take place May 27-28, 2021.
The Eliminations is the most exciting slo-pitch tournament of the season and sees the absolute best slo-pitch players in the Province compete in three divisions of play - Mens, Womens and Masters - with the winners in the Mens and Womens divisions earning the right to represent Ontario in the Softball Canada Canadian Slo-Pitch Championships.
Who can you eliminate?
Not playing? Make your way to Slo-Pitch City in Dorchester, Ontario on July 9-11, 2021 to see some of the most competitive and exciting slo-pitch you will ever see! The only thing "slo" is the pitch. First games start at 6:00 pm on Friday, July 9th!
- Canadian Championships
The Canadian Slo-Pitch Championships is the most prestigious tournament in Canada where the top Men's and Women's slo-pitch teams from every Province and Territory battle for GOLD - the ultimate award to be earned in slo-pitch in this country.
The 2019 Canadian Men's and Women's Slo-Pitch Championships were held August 11-17, 2019, in Moncton, New Brunswick. Congratulations to our Ontario teams, CPS / Demarini / R + L / Aftershock and Kahunaverse / Miken Ladybirds, for bringing home GOLD!
The 2020 Canadian Men's and Women's Slo-Pitch Championships scheduled to take place on August 9-15, 2020 were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 2021 Canadian Men's and Women's Slo-Pitch Championships will be held August 8-14, 2021 in Surrey, British Columbia.
Criteria for Nomination as a Canadian Championship Representative^
(Rev'd November, 2009)
Ontario #1: Elimination Champions (if Canadian Defending Champ, then Elimination Finalist).
Ontario #2: Provincial Champions (if Defending Champ or Ontario #1, then Provincial Finalist and if Finalist is Defending Champion or Ontario #1, then third place finisher).
Ontario #3 (if applicable*): The Team with the highest point total of Super Series "A" Division not already selected.
Ontario #4 (if applicable*): The Team with the highest point total of Super Series "A" Division not already selected.
^Successful teams are eligible for the Canadian Championships the year following their qualifying Event.
^Mens teams must compete in the Eliminations and a minimum of four (4) Super Series Events, including the Provincial Championships, in their qualifying year. Womens teams must compete in the Eliminations and a minimum of three (3) Super Series Events, including the Provincial Championships, in their qualifying year.
^Qualified Mens teams must compete in the Eliminations and four (4) Super Series Events, including the Provincial Championships, in the year of the Canadian Championships. Qualified Womens teams must compete in the Eliminations and three (3) Super Series Events, including the Provincial Championships, in the year of the Canadian Championships.
*Softball Canada Special Operating Rules (SOR) allow each Province one (1) berth. Since up to 16 team are allowed, Ontario, due to its size, is guaranteed a second berth. If space is available, under the present Rules, Ontario may receive up to a maximum of four (4) berths. Defending Champions and Host Team (if applicable) must be included in the four berths.
Teams must be aware that there is no guarantee the 3rd and 4th berths will be available every year, and cannot be confirmed until after the May 1st commitment date.
Teams must use their Qualifying Rosters, plus three (3) eligible pick-ups, to a maximum of 17 players, as per Softball Canada SOR's.
To be eligible for participation, all teams must be members in good standing of Slo-Pitch Ontario and be approved by the SPO Board of Directors. Slo-Pitch Ontario reserves the right to revise this Criteria at any time.
Canadian Championship Rosters
The Issue: Since teams qualify the year previous to the Championships, each year one or more qualified teams asked to be allowed to pick up additional players. It appears these difficulties have occurred because players leave a qualified team to play for another team the following year with the understanding they will be playing at the Canadian Championships for their new team as a pick-up. The outcome is the original team, even with the three pick-ups, ends up struggling to get sufficient players for their Canadian Championship roster.
The Restrictions: Teams have said they definitely want to qualify the previous year. The Softball Canada Special Operating Rules (SOR) states that teams must use only players on their Qualifying Roster and a team may add a maximum of 3 pick-ups.
The Solution: As a result of the request of the teams to be allowed additional pick-ups when players left their team, the Slo-Pitch Ontario Board of Directors met and examined the situation. They agreed that something was needed to stop players from moving to other teams that will be participating in the Canadian Championships. First, the Board reaffirmed that they could not allow additional pick-ups but must follow the Softball Canada SOR's and only allow 3 pick-ups.
The Board of Directors then unanimously adopted the following policy: Players on the Qualifying Roster of a team accepting a Canadian Championship berth may only play for that team at the Canadian Championships. If they leave a qualified team to play for a different team during the season of the Championship, they may not play for this team at the Championships. The only team (this includes other P/T teams) they may play for at the Canadian Championship is their original team.
Note: This policy came into effect at the beginning of the 2008 season.
- Ontario Championships
For more information, please go to Ontario Championships.
- Senior Circuit
For more information, please go to Senior Circuit.
- Super Series
For more information, please go to Super Series.
- Corporate / Charity Tournament Program
Looking to have a slo-pitch game or tournament as a corporate team-building experience, a charity event, or just for fun? SPO can help!
- Tournament Directors
SPO Tournament Directors are a valuable part of our Association! And we'll do whatever we can to help our Tournament Directors run their most successful events to date.
As a SPO Tournament Director, YOU GET:
- Your tournament on the Tournament Calendar at www.slopitch.org, as well as under Upcoming Events right on the home page...
- Access to our Member Registration System (MRS) where you'll see all of your Events, the teams entered, and much more...
- The ability to quickly and easily email all of the teams entered in your Tournament...
- Help and assistance from experienced and dedicated slo-pitch people...
- Scorebooks for all teams...
- Draw Boards and Posters...
- A Tournament Director gift...
- An Official Slo-Pitch Handbook for handy reference...
- Invitations to our Ontario Championships for the top finishing teams...
- Choice of amazing Awards from The SPOrt Store, including apparel and gear from Worth, Miken, Rawlings, Mizuno and New Era, all at incredibly low prices to fit any budget...
- Contact information for Softball Ontario-carded Umpires in your area...
- Tournament email and/or social media service available allowing you to contact hundreds of teams/players interested in entering tournaments...
- Full-time office staff available for assistance...
- Awards and Tournament Supplies delivered right to your door...
- Tournament Director Liability Insurance for you and your volunteers...
- Host Liquor Liability Insurance available at low rates to cover the entire weekend...
- AND MORE!
GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS
You can login to the MRS at any time and create your Event(s). This should be done in lots of time before your Event!
- The Tournament Administration Fee is just $150 (plus tax) and can be paid by credit card, EMT or cheque.
- If a Tournament is cancelled for any reason, the Tournament Administration Fee, less a $25.00 administration charge, will be refunded upon request.
- All Tournament Directors MUST provide proof of $5 Million Host Liquor Liability Insurance prior to the Tournament. Please call the SPO Office for cost and details.
- All teams participating in a Tournament MUST be registered members of SPO prior to playing in the Tournament. Tournament Directors are responsible for paying any fees owing for any team that was not registered at their Tournament, which fee may be levied against the Tournament Director any time after the Tournament. If the Tournament Director is not successful in collecting the money from any team, the Tournament Directors may notify the SPO Office of the offending team(s) and a letter or email will be sent advising the team(s) of their suspension until the Tournament Director is paid. If the money is sent to the SPO Office, the Tournament Director will be reimbursed accordingly.
- Tournament Directors must use our MRS. Guides to assist you are available, and the Office is always available to answer any questions or walk you through any processes.
- The top fifty percent (50%) of the teams in each division will be given a Qualifier for that year's Ontario Championships. Discretionary Qualifiers will be supplied to the Tournament Director and may be given to any team(s) that did not qualify, but actively support SPO and its programs.
- Travel Expense monies are at the discretion of the Tournament Director and we trust you will be fair in this area.
- SPO Approved Umpires (carded through Softball Ontario) MUST be used in all Tournaments (NO EXCEPTIONS). The SPO Office can help the Tournament Director with contacts for Umpires.
- Tournament Schedules/Draw Boards, with Awards and Travel Expenses listed for each division, and any special exceptions to the Rules, must be posted prior to the start of the Tournament.
- The Official Slo-Pitch Handbook will be utilized. We understand certain local rule exceptions may be used. If so, please outline them on your tournament flyer. Local Rule adjustments must be brought to the attention of the entire Umpire Crew and teams so all participants are clear of all Rules. Please refer to the SPO Handbook for Tournament Operating Rules & Guidelines and Playing Procedures.
- Tournament Results and any fees that may be owing must be received by the SPO Office within five (5) days of the completion of the Tournament.
- All tournament-advertising flyers must be approved by SPO prior to any distribution by the Tournament Director.
- Only SPO-approved Worth Ball(s) must be used in all Tournaments